Impressions of Salem
Inspired by “American Impressionist Childe Hassam and the Isle of Shoals”
Salem Arts Associations’ 10th Annual PEM Inspirational Exhibition
Juried by Austen Barron Bailly, The George Putnam Curator of American Art, Peabody Essex Museum
For the tenth consecutive year, the Salem Arts presents a show inspired by a Peabody Essex Museum exhibition. This year we offer “Impressions of Salem”, a reflection of PEM’s “American Impressionist: Childe Hassam and the Isle of Shoals”.
The exhibit will be displayed at the Salem Arts Center, 179 Essex Street on the pedestrian mall, Salem, Massachusetts. Open Thursday–Sunday, Noon–6 p.m.
This has been made possible through collaborations with numerous local businesses and organizations including the Peabody Essex Museum and the Massachusetts Cultural Council.
For more Information or to join Salem Arts visit salemarts.org
Call for Art!
Submit your art to Salem Arts signature exhibit. After visiting the PEM’s exhibit “American Impressionist: Childe Hassam and the Isle of Shoals”, be inspired to think about: What impressions do you have of Salem? What does Salem mean to you? What’s it like to paint outdoors, something that interests you? If you were to make an artistic statement about Salem what would it be?
All media are accepted.
Prizes will be awarded for Best of Show and runners up. Awards are given for 1st Prize (Best of Show) is $150, 2nd Prize (Excellence) is $100 and 3rd Prize (Honorable Mention) is $50.Fees
All juried exhibitions require a non-refundable entry fee for each submission of $5 for Salem Arts members and Creative Salem Members. $10 for non-members. Artists may submit up to three pieces.
Artwork Take-In: Thursday, September 1st from 6-8pm and Saturday, September 3rd from noon to 2pm
Dates of Exhibit: September 10-30, 2016.
Opening Reception: September 10th from 6-8pm
Artwork Pick-Up: Sunday, October 2nd from noon to 6pm
Impressions of Salem Juried Exhibit Rules and Regulations
In an effort to maintain professional gallery practices, Salem Arts implements the following rules and regulations for its juried exhibits. We ask that potential submitters read and adhere to the rules, as we will not accept artworks that do not comply. Observing the following points ensures that your artwork will be exhibited in the best possible way.
- All entries must be original works and not previously shown in a Salem Arts exhibit. Please be mindful of copyright infringements.
- Copies and reproductions of original works of art, whether embellished or not, are not eligible for submission to juried exhibits. However, fine art prints such as photographs, lithographs, woodcuts, engravings, etchings, screen prints and digital works are acceptable as long as they are labeled as such and numbered as an edition.
- Maximum size for all artwork, whether 2D or 3D, is 36 inches in any direction.
- All works on paper, including photographs, must be framed. Glass and Plexiglas must be clean inside and out, unscratched and intact.
- Works on canvas must be framed or have gallery-wrapped, finished edges with no staples visible. · Frames must be in good condition, free of scratches and loose corners.
- Mats must be clean and smoothly cut.
- A hanging wire must be firmly attached to the back with screw-eyes or D-rings, and the wire not exceeding the top of the frame. NO SAWTOOTH HANGARS.
- Dust covers or other backing material must be clean and intact.
- Artwork must be completely dry at time of submission.
- Three-dimensional work must be stable on a flat surface or the artist must supply a stand.
Work accepted for an exhibition may not be substituted, nor will any be permitted to be withdrawn during an exhibition, except in extenuating circumstances and only with the approval of the Gallery Chair.
- Entries will be reviewed at the time of submission to ensure adherence to the artwork condition rules of the exhibit.
- Inclusion in the exhibit is at the sole discretion of the juror. The number of pieces included in the exhibit will depend upon the space available and the size of the artworks selected.
- Salem Arts reserves the right to turn away any submissions that it deems inappropriate for our younger viewers or offensive in subject matter. Works with overtly pornographic, discriminatory or violent messages may be barred from submission.
Statement of Responsibility
All entries are left at the owner’s risk—Salem Arts is not responsible for any loss or damage to submitted artwork by any means whatsoever. Salem Arts volunteers will take all necessary precaution in handling artwork.
Three cash awards are given for 1st Prize (Best of Show) is $150, 2nd Prize (Excellence) is $100 and 3rd Prize (Honorable Mention) is $50.
All juried exhibitions require a non-refundable entry fee for each submission of $5 for Salem Arts members and $10 for non-members. Artists may submit up to three pieces.
- It is encouraged that all artwork on exhibit be for sale to support and encourage the growth of our creative community.
- Salem Arts charges a 20% sales commission; the artist receives 80% of the listed sales price.
- Checks to artists will not be written until an up to date W9 form is on file with the bookkeeper. Artists who need to fill out a W9 will be notified by the bookkeeper.
Pick-Up of Artwork
Artwork must be picked up on October 2. There is a one-week grace period for late pick-up. Any who has not picked up work will be charged a fee for storage.
- The Gallery Chair must review and approve in advance any unconventional methods of display or hanging presentation.
- Once an accepted piece of artwork is installed in a show, please do not ask to change its location. It is up to the Gallery Chair to place and hang artwork.
Please download and fill out these forms in advance for submissions.